Ah it seems I have caught the sunshine blog post bug. Like many I have been watching it float around on Twitter and have enjoyed reading the posts that have emerged. So here goes my sunshine blog post!
Here is how it works:
- Acknowledge the nominating blogger.
- Share 11 random facts about yourself.
- Answer the 11 questions the nominating blogger has created for you.
- List 11 bloggers. They should be bloggers you believe deserve some recognition and a little blogging love!
- Post 11 questions for the bloggers you nominate to answer and let all the bloggers know they have been nominated. (You cannot nominate the blogger who nominated you.)
Nominating Blogger (s)
I have been nominated by two people and will give them both a shout out! The first blogger is Dana Ariss @Danaariss. I first ‘met’ Dana on one of the many Twitter chats I take part in. (For the life of me I can’t remember which one). I got to know Dana better as part of the planning committee for the new #cdnedchat. She is enthusiastic and bubbly person from whom I have learned lots!
The second blogger that nominated me was Jennifer Collette @Jennmarieco. I had the great privilege of working with Jenn last year. We spent the whole year bouncing ideas off of each other, planning and co-teaching together. It was an incredible experience and although we do not work in the same building anymore I find that not much has changed. We still challenge each others thinking, discuss what we are teaching and make each other laugh on a consistent basis. She is a wickedly awesome person!
11 Random Facts
1) I have lived in three countries so far: South Africa, Swaziland and Canada 🙂
2) I am a cat person.
3) Winter is my favourite season.
4) I read a lot of fantasy novels. I am kind of stuck in the genre.
5) I am self-conscious about my writing but blog to help me get better. (It’s working!)
6) It takes me a long time to make a decision. I need to think about things and tend to sit on the fence for a long time.
7) I love salt and vinegar chips.
8) My favourite T.V. show is Star Trek.
9) I don’t really like chocolate or ice cream.
10) I have 3 bachelor degrees and am currently working on my Masters of Education. (Yay learning!)
11) I am an introvert. I am quiet and like to listen to others speak. I usually only speak in a group once I have thought about my response. I also tend to get stage fright be it in front of a group of 5 or 100 people.
Questions from Jenn and Dana:
1. Why did you start blogging? I was bored while doing my education degree and wanted to push my thinking further that what my classes were providing. Blogging has helped me think deeply about what, why and how I am teaching. It has really changed my world.
2. What do you love doing the most? Teaching. Nothing makes me happier and feel more challenged.
3. What is your favourite educational quote? “Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.” Nelson Mandela
4. What would you do if you weren’t a teacher? I’d probably be in HR or be a botanist.
5. What do you think makes a great teacher? Someone who is passionate, curious and isn’t willing to accept the status quo.
6. What is your favourite educational website? Hmmmm tough one… www.theliteracyshed.com. It has great videos and resources!
7. What is the funniest thing a student ever told you? Tough one. None spring to mind but everyday is filled with laughs when teaching.
8. What is your favourite movie? The Day After Tomorrow. It’s terrible but I love watching it on cold Winnipeg winter days, makes it feel very doomsday-y
9. How often do you blog? Anywhere from twice a week to once every three months. It all depends on what is going on and what is on my mind.
10. Why do you love twitter? I get to talk to many different educators that I would otherwise never have been able to talk to. It’s really opened my world up.
11. What are you looking forward to in 2014? Getting married to the love of my life 🙂
1. Why teaching? I love learning and helping others learn is one of the most satisfying things on earth. Teaching also challenges me everyday to become better at what I do.
2. Who or what is your greatest inspiration? Nelson Mandela. He showed my home country the power of forgiveness and the importance of equality.
3. What is one new thing you have tried this year? I applied and successfully presented at a conference. Wohoo!
4. What would your ideal day look like? Sleep until 10am and then teach.
5. Who was the best teacher you ever had and why? I have been blessed with many incredible teachers that there are too many to choose from. Probably my grade 2 teacher Mrs Webster. She was a kind, caring teacher who never raised her voice. She is the reason I promise my students I will never yell at them. (They have noticed that I don’t yell and appreciate it).
6. If you could live anywhere in the world other than where you currently live, where would it be? Probably back in South Africa. There is no place like home.
7. What is something you are looking forward to in 2014? Becoming a better teacher and learning lots.
8. Are you an early bird or a night owl? Night owl.
9. What is your favourite band or music artist? I like Rise Against. It’s pretty good music to write your report cards to.
10. Why Twitter? It opens up your world. Nothing more incredible than having a respectful and insightful conversation on Twitter. It has changed the way I teach.
11. Mac or PC? Android or iPhone? Mac. It all works so nicely together.
11 Bloggers I want to nominate (In no particular order)
1) Aviva Dunsigner @Avivaloca
2) Maria Popova @brainpicker
3) Dean Shareski @shareski
4) George Couros @gcouros
5) John Spencer @edrethink
6) Pernille Ripp @Pernilleripp
7) Tanis Thiessen @tjthiessen
8) Darren Kuropatwa @dkuropatwa
9) Hybrid Pedegogy @hybridped (Amazing blog! You must read it!)
10) William Chamberlain @wmchamberlain
11) Mrs T @MissLwbt
11 Questions for your nominees:
1) If you could teach any grade/age what would it be and why?
2) What would you dream classroom look like?
3) What is the 1 thing you hope your students gain from your teaching?
4) What book would you recommend to a teacher needing some inspiration?
5) Whiteboard & projector or Smartboard?
6) How do you inspire creativity in your students and colleagues?
7) What is the first thing you’d purchase if you won the lottery?
8) What has Twitter and blogging done for your teaching?
9) What is 1 thing we can all do to be better teachers tomorrow?
10) Best teaching memory.
11) Quiet classroom or noisy classroom? Why?