Since January Storybird’s have been all the rage in my classroom. I had not planned it to become an ongoing project in my classroom but once word got out about the beautiful Storybird graphics it has snowballed into a phenomenon in my classroom. I have also introduced it with two students in grade 6 that I tutor and they are also hooked! (You know you’re onto something good when students go home and write on their weekends!)
If you are not familiar with Storybird it’s a website where you can use beautiful artwork to create stories.
Reasons I love it:
– It’s easy to use. Kids just play around with it and get it!
– The artwork is amazing and provides endless writing inspiration.
– It’s a sneaky way to draw in my reluctant writers. They have all given it a try!
– The ease of use and beautiful final product ensures a feeling of success right from the start.
– I can create classes and monitor my students work.
– It’s easy to share and access.
– The stories remain private unless you choose to make them public.
– It’s free!
The reasons they love it:
– The artwork provides writing inspiration so it doesn’t feel forced.
– It’s easy to use. They don’t have to be very tech savvy to use it.
– They get their own account. (Always a big deal in grade 4!)
– The artwork is already done so for my students who don’t feel confident in their drawing abilities feel instant success.
– It’s done on the computer – instant motivator.
Friends By Reann Grade 4 Student
Family By Julia Grade 4 Student
The Little Ghost in the House Together By Arianna Grade 6 Student