Ahhh September has come and gone and now we’re almost exactly a month into the school year! I feel like I always have a 100 things to do but I know we are making progress. The start of the school year has been great! I must say that I have been blessed with the most wonderful group of students. They are patient, kind and eager to learn, all good qualities for a group of students and a new teacher.
During the past month we have:
– Built a great community of learners. We meet every morning to share our news from our lives. We continue chatting throughout the day sharing our thoughts and learning.
– We have begun our blogging journey on our classroom kidblog account. The quality of posts will continue to improve as the students writing and comfort level improves. I cannot say enough how writing for an audience and getting feedback is working to motivate my students. I am also trying to practice what I preach and continue blogging. (They will be seeing this post tomorrow morning!)
– We have started Tweeting out our learning and questions to connect with other students across the globe. (@rvsgr4)
– Students have documented their learning by writing and taking pictures of their work. They express themselves in a number of ways throughout the day.
– Our Thinking Books have been a huge hit!
– We have Skyped with a class in Ontario to learn about their neck of the woods in Canada.
– We have started participating in the Global Read a loud project. We are currently reading “The One and Only Ivan”. A powerful story about friendship, art and animal rights. We are Skyping on a weekly basis with a classroom in Edina, Minn, USA to discuss the book!
– We are constantly reading in our classroom and sharing what we are reading with our classmates. (Every child has volunteered to read a book out loud to the class).
– We went on our first field trip to Kids at Play in Altona! What a blast!
– We even had our first SNOW DAY!
– We have painted and created in a number of different mediums.
– We started #Youmatter Fridays where we acknowledge and thank important people in our lives. Tomorrow we are doing a lesson on the importance of treating others with kindness and care.
– We started our MATH station rotations. Yes, my students actually cheered when I told I was going to try out MATH stations. So far.. so good!
Those are just a few of the things we have done this past month. I am sure I have forgotten a few things but I can say that it has been fantastic and I can’t wait to see where the next month of school takes us! Thinking of trying out parts of #WhatIWrite and #NaNoWriMo.